There isn’t a room in the house where a penny tile cannot be used with distinction. These tiny round tiles are popular in bathrooms, kitchens, entryways, laundry rooms and as trendy wall art. Anywhere in your Madison WI home you want a splash of color or a bold accent, here’s your choice.
A classic selection these unique tiles date back to the early 1900s when they were common in kitchens and bathrooms. Their name comes from the original size, about ¾-inch diameter. Today, they’re more likely to be a bit larger – more like an inch in diameter.
Usually a porcelain creation they come in either glazed or unglazed versions with satin or high-gloss finishes. The tiny tiles caught on again in the 21st century. Today they are available in a range of materials including glass, ceramic, stone and metal.
Options For Using Penny Tile
No matter the look you’re planning to achieve – modern to traditional, matte or glossy, bold color or subtle – there’s a selection to work in your home. Because they have a non-slip surface the coin-sized tiles make excellent floors in high-traffic or wet areas. Common in showers, they are gaining acceptance for entryways, laundry and mud rooms.
When they first appeared these round tiles were like most everything in the early 1900s – they were either black or white. Modern designs call for anything from muted white to bold, brilliant colors, mirrors and metal.
When you want to make a statement with real “wow” value, consider the rainbow of colors these tiles represent:
- Black tiles – mix the classics with black tile and white grout or vice versa. Mix black tile with white tile for a polka dot look. Black tile with black grout is contemporary “cool.”
- Stripes – create stripes with alternating colored tiles for a chic, one-of-a-kind creation.
- Metallic and mirrored tile – metallic and mirror tiles provide reflective surfaces that “play” with lighting. Strategic placement allows them to focus on an accent or add vibrancy to the whole room.
- Bold colors – blue is the hottest color in tile for 2020 and it works extremely well with the small round tiles. Using colors in different shade offers contrast and style. Colors like red and orange with white grout are firey and distinctive.
The Right Place For Penny-shaped Tile
With their timeless appeal, modern penny-shaped tiles provide a “retro” impact or a traditional feel. They are ideal for creating a new, modern space or bringing back memories of another era. The tiny round tiles are often seen teamed with other shapes like modern hexagon tiles. They offer many options.
What’s the “right place” to use the penny-shaped tiles? It’s strictly up to you. Popular choices include:
- Kitchen backsplash – not considered by many as the first choice for a backsplash the multiple colors and the patterns they create make penny-size tiles ideal. They’re a great way to highlight other color schemes and room décor. Even a very simple all-white backsplash brightens the space.
- In the bathroom – bathrooms are where these tiles are most at home. They give modern bathrooms – master baths, guest baths and powder rooms – character and style. They work as well in ultra-chic designs as they do in traditional settings. Applying small, round tile to floors and walls makes a stunning shower – colors, stipes and mirrors give you the “wow” factor! You want guests to appreciate the room, right?
- Around a fireplace – a fireplace surround naturally draws the eye in a room. Adding a special tile treatment adds boldness and an artistic feel. These small tiles don’t overpower the fireplace or mantel.
Part of its renewed popularity comes from the tile’s use in mosaic creations. Small tiles can spell out words of welcome, catch phrases or verse. And they are ideal for creating art on shower or laundry room walls and floors.
There’s really no place these dynamic tiles cannot be used effectively.
Finishing Touches For A Round Tile Project
As with all tile, the small round versions require grout. Once an afterthought, grout is now part of the designer’s palette. You have many more options than ever before. Colored grout teamed with designer tiles provides almost endless options for creativity.
Do you want the classic, stately look of dark grout with white or light-colored tile? Or, are you more daring and looking to make a “splash” – perhaps red or blue grout with white tile? While your options are many, tile professionals advise caution when making the selection. They suggest testing the grout on a decent-sized area of tile. What looks fine with a couple of these small pieces might be overpowering on a while shower wall! Remember, once you apply the grout to tile you cannot just take it off again if you don’t like it. At least not without tearing out the whole project. You want to a great result, right?
If you had to install these coin-size tiles one piece at a time they’d never have become popular. Thankfully, they usually come affixed to mesh backing so you apply them in large sections. Even so, be alert to the fact they all take a lot of grout. Tile spaced closer together means less grout to finish. The final look you’re going for dictates which works best. Also keep in mind that the more grout there is the more than will need cleaning. No matter the color, finish or spacing you want it to be “perfect,” right?
Penny Tile Installation – Consult The Pros
Using the pre-attached sheets of tile makes installation easier for a do-it-yourselfer. But unless you’ve got the right tools and some experience dealing with the small tiles is a good job for professionals. Either way, we’re here to provide advice and guidance. We have everything you need from a wide array of tile choices to grout and tools. Don’t underestimate the complexity of a project with penny-sized tile.
Molony Tile has a great selection and is Madison’s top source for specialty and traditional tiles. A skilled, experience staff supports our products and customers. Call or email Molony Tile, 608-268-8453, to discuss the penny tile options for your Madison WI home.